Shared Equity Valuations

Buying a Property in the UK

Shared Equity Valuations


The average property price was 3.6 times the average income in England and Wales in 1997; it is now 7.6 times (15 times in many parts of London). There are a few options open to first-time buyers with as little as 5% deposit.

Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership -usually targeted at first time buyers gives you the opportunity to purchase a share in a new build or resale property.  Payment are split between the mortgage to the bank and rent to the housing association on the remaining share.  This is a useful option if you have a very small deposit or it is difficult to get onto the property ladder in your area as properties are very expensive.

Shared ownership properties are always leasehold.  You have the option of purchasing a larger share in the property called staircasing you could eventually own 100% of the property in the future.  You can find out more about contact your local housing association or

You need to get a shared ownership valuation when you are either selling your property or staircasing which is buying a larger share in the property.

Your housing association stipulates that you must do this to determine how much the next share will cost you (staircasing) or what price your property – and therefore your stake in the property – will be sold for. You have to pay for the valuation and can choose any RICS surveyor you wish to for the purpose.

The valuation is not a home survey and does not consider defects within the property.  The report not only states the market valuation of your house and also includes 3 comparables of similar properties in the local which have sold within the last 3 months.

The valuation lasts for three months, after which, if you still want to staircase or sell, you must either:

  • Renew the valuation; or
  • Get a Letter of Comfort, otherwise known as a retype, which verifies that the original value as stated is still correct and the market has not changed significantly in the period.

Help to Buy

Help to Buy – The Help to Buy equity loan the Government lends you up to 20% of the cost of a newly built property, so you’ll need a 5% deposit and a 75% mortgage to make up the rest.  Fees are charged after 5 years of owning you’re home.  If you sell your home within the first 5 years, you’’ have to repay the same percentage of the proceeds of sale to Homes England as the initial equity loan.  Help to buy home are only available from Help to Buy registered house builders.   On average, people buying shared-ownership properties are 35 years old, according to the MHCLG. To find out more visit 

Right to Buy

Right to Buy – Living in a council property for over 3 years an option to get on the property ladder by transitioning from tenant to homeowner with a big discount on the property.   There are options for housing association tenants through the Preserved Right to Buy (Ex-council homes), the Right to Aquire, and the Voluntary Right to Buy..  To find out more visit

When you come to sell the property or pay off the Help to Buy loan you will require a help to buy valuation. You must hire an RICS regulated independent RICS Valuer to carry out the valuation.

  • They must be registered with RICS and be independant to an estate agent.
  • They cannot be related to you.
  • The valuer must provide at least 3 comprable properties and sale prices
  • Those properties must be like for like with regard to the property type, size and age and must be within a 2 mile radius of your property
  • Valuations carried our for bank or mortgage purposes wont be accepted.
  • The valuer must inspection the property interior and provide a full valuation report (not a survey)
  • The report must be on headed paper, signed by a RICS surveyor, dated and addressed to the appropriate association.
You May Also Like