Mention the words “moving house” and it likely conjures up dreadful images of upheaval, disorganisation and the never-ending period of limbo that is packing boxes. However, the advice from someone who once moved 3 times in the space of 2 years is: it really needn’t be so bad!
Here are our serial mover’s top tips for a stress-free moving day:
Don’t delay, start planning at the very earliest opportunity:
- Identify a reputable removals firm or good van rental company and obtain quotes well in advance. Source suitable storage if needed.
- It’s never too early to start collecting boxes and packaging – guaranteed you will need more than you think. Supermarkets will usually happily supply you with their old boxes if you ask.
- Look around your home for all the non-essentials that can be packed away early.
- Make a list of everyone who needs to be notified. Think about the cancellation of services and deliveries, as well as changing over your address with banks, health services and schools. Ordering a mail redirection is worth every penny to guarantee all personal correspondence follows you to your new home.
- It sounds like common sense, but be sure to label every. single. box. Our serial mover recommends doing this by room so that other helpers on the day have no confusion over where to put things. Subheadings with the type of items in the box are also hugely useful when it comes to unpacking.
- Create a dedicated “essentials” box that goes with you by car and has everything you are going to want to lay your hands on quickly such as kettle, chargers, medicines, toiletries, towels and bedding.
And the best tip of all?
Get a good night’s sleep the day before the big day and don’t get too stressed. Like all things, this will end and moving day will pass more quickly than you could ever imagine. Good luck!